A dormitory at the now closed Retta Dixon Home.

Former Retta Dixon Home children to receive Government compensation

February 16: Former child residents who suffered abuse at the Darwin’s Retta Dixon Aboriginal Home in Northern Territory will receive compensation from the Federal Government. The notorious home for Stolen Generations children was run by Australian Indigenous Ministries and overseen by the Federal Government. Seventy-one former residents, who alleged physical and sexual assaults by staff between 1946 and 1980, launched a civil lawsuit in 2015. The compensation follows evidence at the sex abuse royal commission. The group’s lawyer said half the plaintiffs alleged sexual abuse and all alleged physical abuse in what is believed to be the largest class action in NT history.

Breaking News

News/Home

Govt moves to reverse native title decision

Wednesday, 15 February 2017 12:41 pm

The Federal Government has moved to reverse a major Federal Court ruling relating to native title claims. Earlier this month an appeal court ruled a single member of a claimant group can prevent an Indigenous land use agreement from being registered if they withhold their consent. The Government today introduced a bill to reinstate a 2010 decision that was effectively overruled by the appeal court.

Closing the Gap report shows failures

Congress co-chairs Jackie Huggins and Rod Little with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten.
Tuesday, 14 February 2017 2:30 pm

Only one of the seven targets set down nine years ago to improve Indigenous health, education and employment is on track to be met. That’s been highlighted in the ninth annual Closing the Gap report handed down in Parliament by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull. Targets in mortality rates and health, employment and reading, writing and numeracy are not being met, with Indigenous Year 12 attainment the only success reported. Mr Turnbull said the “stark reality” is there is not sufficient progress. 

Cricket wins to Victorian men and NSW women

Victorian captain Ben Abbatangelo all smiles after his team’s win.
Tuesday, 14 February 2017 8:18 am

Victoria has won the men’s grand final at the 2017 National Indigenous Cricket Championships (NICC), defeating NSW by 18 runs and in the process securing the NICC men’s title for the first time. Victoria won the toss and elected to bat first at Traeger Park, Alice Springs, scoring 8-228 from their 50 overs. NSW could manage only 210 in reply. The title win on February 13 was the first for a Victorian men’s team at the NICC. Victoria’s win in the men’s grand final followed NSW’s win over Queensland in the NICC women’s grand final earlier in the day. 

Sydney marchers mark Apology anniversary

The protest march in Sydney.
Monday, 13 February 2017 4:46 pm

Aboriginal grandmothers led a march in Sydney to NSW Parliament House on February 13 demanding an end to the continuing removal of Aboriginal children from their families. The march and rally came on the ninth anniversary of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd’s National Apology to the Stolen Generations. Marchers called for thousands of children be returned to their families, Aboriginal control of Aboriginal child welfare, an end to the practice of incarcerating children, and serious investment in services to support struggling families.

Anthony Mundine wants third bout with Green

Anthony Mundine fighting Danny Green this month.
Monday, 13 February 2017 12:24 pm

Boxer Anthony Mundine wants a third bout with Danny Green, saying he will “destroy” his long-time rival in his home town of Perth. Mundine lost to Green in a controversial points decision in Adelaide on February 3, squaring the ledger at one-all 11 years after beating his rival in Sydney. Mundine’s camp has lodged an appeal with the Australian National Boxing Federation in the hope of getting the result changed to a ‘no decision’. 

All Stars to return after World Cup hiatus

The Indigenous All Stars celebrate their victory in Newcastle.
Sunday, 12 February 2017 4:36 pm

National Rugby League (NRL) boss Todd Greenberg has indicated the game’s leading Indigenous players will have a big say on where the next All Stars clash will be played. Following the Indigenous All Stars’ 34-8 romp over the World All Stars in Newcastle on February 10, the annual fixture will go on a one-year hiatus due to the World Cup at the end of the year. However, Greenberg promised the All Stars game would return to what could be a vastly different looking calendar in 2019 and beyond. He said the All Stars and the Auckland Nines would remain. 

June Oscar is new Social Justice Commissioner

Incoming Social Justice Commissioner June Oscar.
Friday, 10 February 2017 9:19 am

June Oscar has been named the new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner. The Bunuba woman from Western Australia’s Kimberley will replace Mick Gooda, who resigned to become a royal commissioner. Ms Oscar has been passionate in fighting alcohol-related damage in her community and was instrumental in establishing Australia’s first study into Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. She will start her new role in April.

Reconciliation Barometer survey reveals racism

Thursday, 9 February 2017 5:44 am

February 9: Almost half of Indigenous Australians have described experiencing racism, according to the findings of Reconciliation Australia’s latest Australian Reconciliation Barometer survey, released today. The barometer is a national research study conducted every two years to measure and compare attitudes and perceptions towards reconciliation in the wider Australian as well as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.

Mundine out as PM names new advisory council

Nyunggai Warren Mundine
Thursday, 9 February 2017 4:29 am

Nyunggai Warren Mundine has been dropped from Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s overhauled Indigenous Advisory Council. The Bundjalung businessman served for three years as IAC chair. Six new council members – educator Chris Sarra, health academic Ngiare Brown, chief executives Andrea Mason and Susan Murphy, NSW Aboriginal Land Council chair Roy Ah See and traditional owner Djambawa Marawilli – have been appointed. Mr Turnbull said further appointments would be made after consultation with the new council members.

League teams prepare for All Stars clashes

The Indigenous All Stars get ready for action last year.
Wednesday, 8 February 2017 8:41 am

February 9: Indigenous rugby league players are front and centre today and tomorrow as the All Stars week continues in Newcastle, NSW. There will be an Australia All Stars vs Indigenous All Stars touch game. The main highlight is the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars men’s clash tonight, with the women’s game in the evening. More details and latest team changes at https://allstars.nrl.com